Thursday, April 1, 2010

Guest Blogger: Dad!

I decided that it would be fun to have my dad write a little something for my blog since he is with me for the next few days. This is what he has to say...

Greetings from Dahab (on the Red Sea) - Most of you thought the marathon was a Greek thing, well opa! the Greeks never travelled with Ben in Egypt...we’ve been on the go now for 7 days almost non-stop. An observation of one who is growing old - I see a right of passage. When Ben was young he would always follow behind me wherever we went. The tide has now turned! Ben has taken the reigns and I am following his lead. I am so proud of his ability to blend into this chaotic culture. He negotiates with a smile and knows when a deal cannot be made and walks away. There are always hungry taxi drivers and the negotiation restarts all over again. We have never been stranded! I will note, with careful instructions he let me travel to downtown Cairo to visit the Egyptian History Museum. I rode the metro train and made it back without a hitch.

Speaking of taxi drivers, Egyptian cabbies truly know the dimensions of the Fiats and Peugots. I've gotten over the madness of the driving here but I still have yet to break the code on how they use their horn. It’s an almost constant beep-beep communication for all maneuvers (Planned & unplanned). There are horns blaring from all directions all the time.

Ben also stops and strikes up conversations with locals to practice his Arabic. I was a little concerned when he struck up a conversation with a security guard - automatic rifle included. I joined the dialog more or less to listen in, sure enough the clip was filled with shells but they both had a smile and were carrying on enjoying each others company. Truth be known the guard was practicing English while Ben did the same with Arabic.

The sights are amazing – I’ve touched things 3000 years old. The food is good. The fruit juices are out of this world. There is a whole different world of smells from incense to spices to some obnoxious stuff. It’s not too hot but it is really dry. Ben keeps watch to make sure I am drinking lots of water. It’s almost never quiet in Egypt. The locals are night owls and as soon as everyone is asleep the morning call to prayer starts things rolling again.

It has been great to see Ben more than anything else. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, quoting Calvin & Hobbs – ‘the days have been packed’ (Trains, planes, boats, hot air balloons, cabs, buses and sights galore) but this guest blogger will be glad to see simple Wadsworth again in 4 more days.

I should have a link to some of our pictures sometime today or tomorrow, so be expecting it!

Have a good Thursday!!!

1 comment:

abbey said...

Meh. I doubt the fruit juice can beat Cran-Raz.

It sounds like you guys are having fun and that Ben is keeping Mr. Guest Blogger (Dad) busy! Can't wait to hear all about it in person. Right now the female Stirgwolts and nee-Stirgwolts are stilling at the Roy household, and it is a beautiful evening, and we got to relax on the front porch and watch the sun start to go down and hear the birds singing. The flowers are starting to come out and it's supposed to be in the lovely 70s tomorrow.

Let's plan a cookout sometime when you get back. Wouldn't that be fun?

Love you guys!

Ab (and Mom...and Analeigh, who is chatting from her crib)

Post a Comment