Saturday, October 24, 2009

Run for Breast Cancer

This weekend was the run around the pyramids to raise money for breast cancer research. The morning of the event, Henry, Johan, and I were going to take a cab to the Heliopolis Sporting Club where we would catch an event-sponsored bus to take us to the pyramids.

Sometimes your cab drivers know where they are going. Other times they just make their best guess. Sometimes the people riding in the cab pay attention to where they are being dropped off. Other times the people riding in the cab get dropped off at unexpected locations, thinking they're in the right place.

As you can see in the picture below, we didn't quite make it to the Heliopolis Sporting Club. Close, but not quite. And it took us awhile to figure out that we weren't in the right place. So we had to pay for a cab to the pyramids, which isn't really that big of a deal, but we just had to pay another $9 to get there.

The race itself was packed with people, and for those of us who ran it, it lasted about 10 minutes. But it was definitely worth it.




Next up, Run for Lung Cancer...I wish.

Take a look at this video about the "Black Cloud" that has settled on Cairo. The pollution has been considerably worse the last week or so. Today on our way back to New Cairo (where we are able to see blue sky, الحمد للة--Alhamdulillah, "Praise be to God"), I decided to cover my nose and mouth with my shirt. That little brown spot isn't dirt that was filtered in the 45 minute cab ride, but was dirt that was plastered on my forehead that I had wiped off. Either way, there's a lot of particles in the air, and I'm pretty sure that's the reason why I've had a chronic cough for the last 3 weeks...



Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Betsy W. said...

So cool Ben! I love the photo with all the pink head coverings! Let me know if you need me to send you a care package with a gas mask. ;)

Post a Comment