Saturday, October 17, 2009

City of the Dead

Cairo is a city of contrasts.

New Cairo is a sparkling city in the making. On campus, our palm trees are automatically watered several times each day, our windows are dust-free, and we even have grass growing on the sand! We have it made...

Not too far from campus is an entirely different world. Today I got to see part of this world--The City of the Dead. Piles of trash, blood in the streets, swarms of flies...

We really have it made...

It is given the name "City of the Dead" because the "city" is a cemetery. I was in the area to see some of the burial architecture from the Fatimid dynasty. Cemeteries in Cairo aren't like what we have in the US. Instead of having a gravestone, each family has a house-like structure where their kin are buried. These structures have become the homes of many, many poor Egyptians.

It was quite humbling.

Below you can see several of the mausoleums that we visited.



In other news, it was 100 F today. Fun times since it's the middle of October. I was hoping it would be cooling down soon. I decided I needed a little bit of an autumn-fix, so I found these really nice October pictures I thought I'd share, here.


That's all for now! Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment