Friday, February 12, 2010

Here at Last

It's the weekend!!!

This semester I'm much busier than last semester, hence the lack of updates throughout the week. I usually wake up at 5:30 (when the call to prayer goes off for the second time), eat breakfast, check my mail, work on Arabic for an hour, get on the bus to school, study Arabic in school from 9:30-3:00, go to the gym, come home by 5, eat dinner, work on Arabic until 10, and then go to bed. That's just about every day. Not too exciting. So until the student newspaper starts coming up with articles that I can comment about or something funny happens on campus, my weeks just don't have enough blog-worthy material...

My hardest class so far is my Arabic listening class. I knew I was a visual learner before this semester started, but this class has confirmed it all the more. Here's a sample of what we listen to in class (first 2 minutes only)...





This video we only watched 100 times (we weren't supposed to read the subtitles, which was really tempting for me). We also watched one about a train from Beirut carrying flowers and candy. It was pretty awesome. We also listen to BBC news headlines in Arabic, which are really hard since the people talk so fast. It's difficult, but hopefully the more I hear the easier it will get.

I'm also taking a written media class where we have to read newspaper articles and translate them. This is also very difficult. I've decided that if I have to learn words in Arabic that I'm not familiar with in English, then the class is getting pretty hardcore. I have no idea what an "eminent delegation" or "International Monetary Fund" are. But I'm learning them in Arabic! Haha...

Apartment life is still wonderful. There's nothing like coming home for the weekend and having some fresh-baked banana bread...

Have a good Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment