Thursday, July 7, 2011

Moroccan Beaches & Moroccan Cooking

I have a test tomorrow that I need to study for, but what a better way to procrastinate than to put up a new blog post?!

Last weekend we made a trip to the Atlantic to visit the supposed cave where Hercules slept as he was completing his 12 tasks. Then we made our way to our "private beach" for an afternoon of swimming. I think just about all of us were expecting an exclusive beach with nice sand rest on. Well, it was beautiful, but we had to hike down a mountain with some seriously steep slopes, and our private beach was more of a random house built on some rocks that just so happened to have a ladder screwed into them. It just wasn't what I was expecting, but it was fun. I jumped into the water from the "cliff," and swam for a total of about 10 seconds before I decided that I wanted to avoid hypothermia. As one person described the water, "It's cold, but at least you don't sieze up." Yeah, that's a good way to describe it...

Yesterday we did our "community service" project, which consisted of us going to a program that teaches women how to cook nutritious meals. We baked cookies, which were delicious.

This weekend we're going on a trip to the Imperial Cities. I don't know about my internet connect while we're away, so pictures might have to wait for several days.

Overall, things are going well here. I'd like to think that I'm getting better at Arabic. Today when I sat down with my conversation partner, she started the conversation by talking about circumcision and why it is good. I thought it was really random, but perhaps that shows that I'm moving past the basic topics of talking about my major and my hometown. Perhaps we could talk about something slightly different, though...

Have a good Thursday!


The rocks where we went swimming.

There was some pretty scenery as we tried to figure out where the beach is.

"Little boy, do you know if there is a private beach down this path for the American School in Tangier?"

Cute puppy.

Opening of cave shaped like Africa? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment