Saturday, June 25, 2011

Life in Tangier

One of the things that I like best about this program is that we get to use the Arabic that we learn in our classes on the streets of Tangier. Yesterday we had a class about asking for directions. After the class we divided into small groups and took to the streets on a scavenger hunt of famous places in Tangier, asking the locals for the location of each place. It was a really good exercise to solidify the vocabulary that we had learned, and it was fun to see the city.

The goal was to take pictures of each of these locations. The final thing we had to do was take a picture of something strange. As we were trying to figure out what to do, we noticed a policeman directing traffic so we decided to ask him if he could take a picture with me pretending like he was arresting me and me looking sad. He told us that he probably would, but he was afraid since the Moroccans are voting on their new constitution in a few days, he thought if the picture somehow got to the press, it would be very damaging having a police officer arresting a foreigner. So we didn't get the picture. It was still fun.

Afterwards we went to a restaurant and got dinner (this was around 10:00 pm). Like in Egypt, there is some really good fruit juice; last night I had peach juice, which was heavenly.

In the medina.

On the first day that we were here we visited the American Legation Museum, which is the oldest piece of American property outside of the United States. It was beautiful. This is a picture of it below. From what I understood, it seems like they do a lot of research here. I remember reading in my orientation materials that some of us may have to write a research paper (in Arabic, of course) using some of the resources from this center. I wouldn't mind spending some time there...

American Legation Museum

Today I'm going to return to downtown Tangier and do some more exploring and maybe have give bartering a shot, though I still don't know much Moroccan Arabic, it is still so much fun to speak to the locals in Arabic, and they love it too (one man said in Arabic "God bless you for speaking Arabic" when I spoke to him at a cafe).

The days have really been full of things for us to do. Formal classes start tomorrow, which probably means that life will get even crazier, but that's okay.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment