Sunday, November 8, 2009

Swine Flu Strikes Again?

While I haven't gotten an official e-mail saying that we're going to have an extended Eid al-Adha (which is the Islamic holiday when many people conduct hajj [pilgrimage] to Mecca), it sounds like it is quite probable.

Today in Arabic class my teacher said that the government is saying that schools will be closed until December 6th. I can't imagine AUC not conforming to this mandate. This means that our "Thanksgiving break" will extend from November 26th - December 6th.

This is part of an e-mail that I received:

To ensure that all class requirements are fulfilled – in the event that the university is required to suspend classes – the university’s deans and department chairs are formulating contingency plans. As information becomes available it will be emailed to the AUC community, as well as posted on the flu information page on the university website.

I read that as, "Keep checking your e-mail because soon you're going to have to come in on the weekends so we can make up for all the classes we've missed this semester." I'll keep you posted on what actually happens. I kind of want classes to be cancelled so that I can travel, but at the same time, I'd really like to learn all of the material that I'm expected to learn this semester. I'm ambivalent.

One short, funny thing that happened in Arabic class today:

Partners: Ben & Alison
Task: Translate what Alison says in Arabic into English.

What Alison says: The grandsons live with their grandfather.
How Ben translates it: Their mother died in an accident in the army.

I guess I wasn't paying attention, but I laughed really hard since my translation was completely unrelated (yes, we have learned the words for "died", "accident", and "army"...it's really an uplifting vocabulary list). We have our first Arabic test tomorrow, so that should definitely be a fun time.

Anyway, have a happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment